Thursday 26 March 2015

Vessel, will it sink or swim?

Vessel is a new premium video subscription service. You pay a fee and get access to your favourite YouTube and online content creators early, by about a few days. Recently most of the popular YouTuber's have adopted the new service,  some even endorsing it with competitions in order to entice their followers to fork out for the subscription. I didn't pay much notice to the new service and didn't bother taking a look. Until, a channel I subscribe to tweeted a link for a one year free subscription, I signed up and was immediately greeted with a host of other channels I could 'subscribe' to as well. Each channel had their own professional looking icon and it was set out almost as if scrolling through a service like iTunes or Netflix, I was pleasantly surprised. I decided to take a look at my favourite channels which is were I was put off. The layout showed you their latest video and then some recommendations of other older content. For some channels this worked but for others it didn't; it all depends on how you have previously used YouTube. Most of my subscribed channels upload fairly regularly so each day I can check in and have some sort of content to view, some useful and some just to fill in time. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching these videos but I don't think I would ever go back and re watch a product unboxing or random chat show unless I needed some information. Once again it is all about how you previously used YouTube and viewed the content. One thing that was extremely evident was that every single channel was 'professionally' filmed and produced so gone is the shaky handycam. Still vessel is only new so the coming year should determine whether it will sink or swim.

If you want a free vessel subscription raid the social media pages of the popular YouTube channels to see if they are sharing a 1 year free subscription (no credit card is required so what is their to lose?)

No comments:

Post a Comment